The Math Learning Companion (MLC) is currently under development. MLC is an individualized learning tool and web-based mathematics intervention designed for middle school students with math learning disabilities who are at risk of failing grade-level math. MLC is password-based and can be used anywhere, anytime.
MLC is a seamless intervention comprised of:
- an evidence-based, online, supplemental mathematics curriculum, covering grade 3-8 content;
- a progress monitoring system with general and specific math probes and diagnostics (formative, summative, and adaptive assessments) and validated general outcome measures;
- an advanced computational engine capable of connecting certain student data inputs (math diagnostics, student interactions or clicks) with research-based instructional strategies;
- interactive student supports, including a key terms dictionary, Spanish translations, hints and need more help buttons, and manipulatives; and
- teacher support tools, reports, tutorials, and resource guides.
From the data inputs and performance measures, the MLC will have the capacity to identify precise student learning gaps and provide targeted instruction in order to remediate skill and/or knowledge deficits (Geary, 2005). The MLC will continuously adapt instruction – dynamically delivering appropriate instructional content in accordance with students’ particular academic needs – and provide continuous intelligent feedback on performance.
The evidenced-based core curriculum is standards-aligned, interactive and engaging, and supplements teacher instruction. It has the following key features:
- Scaffolded instruction
- Synchronized read-aloud support
- Lessons that address gaps in prior knowledge
- Vocabulary support
- Error analysis and targeted instruction
- Interactive feedback
- Randomized quizzes
- Customized curriculum for individualized instruction
- Easy alignment of lessons with IEP goals and objectives